nehanda | View My Profile

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

'mama, the woman is scary!'

so here i am, in target one of those super target places in a rather surburbian neighbourhoods, minding my business, checking out the shoes when a child of 4 years exclaims to his mom, how terrifying i look. at first, i was wondering who this child was talking about. there wasnt't anybody else besides his mom and myself on the aisle. he could be talking about his mom, in a third person sort of way. wasn't he already used to her? the mom, rather embarassed, ordered her child to apologize. he stuck to his guns and continued his merry ways.

i did look scary to the child. the only mohawk he has ever probably seen are on people who look like him, maybe in the malls or on the tv and have theirs dyed those strange colors that turn your eyes haphazadly round and round. who ever heard of brown women spotting a mohawk.

posted by nehanda at 10:39 PM

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bad ass kids :)!!!! truth is your mohawk and whole physically vibe is beautiful.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and um grace jones, one word: fierce!!!!!!!

"i'm grace jones in this house, with my tits out, proud...."--Esthero, Wicked lil grrls cd

9:34 PM  
Blogger Will said...

Oh, I have heard of--and seen--brown women sporting mohawks. Very beautiful and striking women with mohawks!

I found you this morning and saw that you link to me at DesignerBlog. I'm honored. I hope you'll continue to like it and visit often.

My very best from Boston,
Will

9:25 PM  
Blogger ClickNathan said...

Well, to a young child in suburbia, a mohawk is an oddity, on a black woman or a discontent white teen.

Though it may have been a bit uncomfortable for you or embarrassing or (insert unpleasant emotion), you may have done the little scrubber a favor by introducing him to something new.

Given the facts (suburbia, target, his mother having little apparent control) he'll have a high likelihood to become an average white kid without much outside influence or the chance to get a different point of view.

Good job, I say.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Veronica said...

Hey. I got the package. Thank you so much; they're beautiful.

6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to paste this amazing poem by Maya Angelou called Phenomenal woman that covers what we as black women go through no matter who/where we are. You probably know it:

Phenomenal Woman

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not cute or built to suit a fashion model's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies.
I say,
It's in the reach of my arms
The span of my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

I walk into a room
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The fellows stand or
Fall down on their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of honey bees.
I say,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Men themselves have wondered
What they see in me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
My inner mystery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's in the arch of my back,
The sun of my smile,
The ride of my breasts,
The grace of my style.
I'm a woman

Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to talk real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the click of my heels,
The bend of my hair,
the palm of my hand,
The need of my care,
'Cause I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.


YOU ARE A PHENOMENAL WOMAN... DONT LET ANYONE TELL YOU DIFFERENT

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home